Please wait...
It appears that you're using an unsupported web browser. To enjoy a pleasant and bug-free experience, please use a recent version of a major browser ( Internet Explorer is supported from version 11.

Coming to Antwerp - Student VISA

If you are a national of a European Union country* or from Norway, Iceland Liechtenstein, Monaco or Switzerland you may travel to Belgium on the strength of a national passport or identity card.

If you have any other nationality, you have to apply for a student visa (type D) with the Belgian embassy or consulate in your current country of residence before leaving for Belgium.

Having a European Union residence permit from another EU country is not sufficient because upon arrival in Belgium you will have to present the same documents to the immigration office as for a student visa (type D) application.

If you have dual citizenship (for example non-EU and EU) and you are not currently a resident of an EU country, we strongly advise you to apply for a visa. The issuance of a residence permit could otherwise be delayed as you will not have health insurance issued by a European provider (which is a requirement for all European nationals to stay in Belgium). By applying for a visa, you will already be able to settle this in advance.


More information on the application procedure:


Addresses of the Belgian embassy or consulate in your home country:


Latest up-to-date information on the website of the University of Antwerp:


Important note

For some countries, approval by the Belgian authorities can take up to three months or longer. Make sure you start the visa application procedure well in advance! We urge you not to come on a tourist visa only.