Please wait...
It appears that you're using an unsupported web browser. To enjoy a pleasant and bug-free experience, please use a recent version of a major browser ( Internet Explorer is supported from version 11.

Student life in UCBL/UJM - Residence permit application (upon arrival)

European students don't need a residence permit to study in France.

Non-European students are required to apply for a residence permit to OFFI upon arrival. When the VLS-TS visa is issued, the consulate will give you an official form (with instructions). University Claude Bernard have entered into agreement with OFFI, (the “Office Français de l'Immigration et de l'Intégration“). You are not therefore requested to contact directly OFII, the International Office will process the application on your behalf. Following documents will be required:

  • The official form you received from the consulate that issued the visa;
  • A copy of passport pages showing the visa holders identity and the stamp indicating entry into France (or into the Schengen area);
  • a fee of €58 will be charged.

You may be in addition requested to have a medical check-up before issuance of the residence permit.

The residence permit is a sticker on the French visa and is valid 1 year and allow you to stay up to 90 days in any country of the Schengen area. Both visa and residence permit must therefor be renewed in case you're coming back to France for the summer break or Master Thesis (Semester 4).

Algerian students need to apply to a residence permit within 2 month upon arrival and will be also subject to this tax. However, because they do not obtain an extended-stay visa with residency permit, they may not use the virtual stamp purchased online. Instead, they must purchase the paper version.